I first heard about Rolfing® in 1979. I immediately had a ten series and was amazed at the results. I remember looking down and thinking “Those aren’t my feet”, after my feet were done in the second session. I remember my chest lifted up and as a result being very present and up front in the room, as opposed to my habitual pattern of shyness. I still have my before and after pictures from then and the changes were remarkable. I have always held up Rolfing as the high point of bodywork. The afternoon of my tenth session I left to move into the ashram of a Hindu guru and I spent the next 5 years studying with him, including one year in India. I received a BA in Anthropology from Cornell University in 1970. The focus of my life has been spiritual endeavors and trying to understand the mystery of what it is to be human. A big part of that has been relating to the physical body. Beginning from the time I was in college I have been interested in body awareness techniques. Not long after graduation, I began a long period of taking Alexander Technique lessons and took my first massage class. I have practiced hatha yoga, tai-chi, several types of martial arts, studied personal health methods, and received and learned different bodywork methods. I noticed I had a talent for using my hands and for perceptions related to doing bodywork. I also did carpentry for many years to develop certain skills in relating to the physical world.
Always continuing my spiritual work, I have also taught Zen Meditation, having begun a long and intensive practice of it in 1967. I graduated from New Life Seminary, an interfaith school, where I learned about spiritual counseling, performing ceremonies, and ministering to the spiritual needs of people from all faiths. In 2003 I was ordained as an interfaith minister. I have also had extensive training in energy work, spiritual healing, and related fields. I fulfilled a longtime dream of mine of completing my Rolfing training in 2003 under exceptional teachers and I am very happy to be able to offer this wondrous method of structural integration to my community. I have had the opportunity to study with many of the best teachers of Rolfing Structural Integration and have completed my Advanced Certification, the highest certification of the Rolf Institute. I have also studied Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy for several years and completed the two-and-a-half-year training with Michael Shea. BCST, developed in Osteopathy, has had a big influence in Rolfing starting with Dr. Rolf. It adds a subtlety and potency of touch and a profundity to our work. It is making a big contribution to my work. Rolfing is still way ahead of its time in many ways. Our work can do things that just don’t fit into our current cultural paradigm. Dr. Rolf’s work is a creation of great power and effectiveness. It has provided a framework for many talented and inspired people to understand and work with our experience of having a body, being embodied in this wondrous experience of life. The more I learn about and practice her work, her vision; the more impressed and inspired I am.
- BA Anthropology from Cornell University
- Certified Rolfer 2003 and Certified Advanced Rolfer
- Many other Rolfing and Rolfing movement workshops
- Amma Massage 1983
- Tai Chi Instructor under Master David Lin 1996
- Interfaith Minister - One Spirit Interfaith Seminary 2003
- Spiritual Healer 2005
- Master of Science in Transpersonal Psychology from Delphi University 2006
- Master of Ro’Hun Spiritual Psychotherapy 2006
- Alchemical Breathwork 2009
- Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapist 2010 the 700 hr professional training with Michael Shea PhD
Some Other Training and Experience:
- Zen Practice 1967-’77 under Philip Kapleau
- Gurdjieff work in John Bennett organization 1977-‘79
- Lived in Ashrams with Swami Muktananda 1979-82
- Many workshops over 30 yrs with Tom Brown Jr about connecting with nature and spirit
- Abraham Hicks approach – about 10 yrs till present
- Landmark Trainings 1983 and on
- Psychological Processing, Energy Healing, Channeling, Munay-ki, and other healing; 10+ years with
- Sara Rubin and others
- Alexander Technique since 1974
- Esther Gokhale method of posture and body movement
"Jim Gates is a skilled, compassionate healer and a most extraordinary Rolfer. The benefits I have received from his healing work have been exceptional and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Even my three year old granddaughter looks forward to her sessions with him."
Shamanic Healer, Teacher, and Spiritual Leader of HOTSH
Jim Gates - Certified Advanced Rolfer™
My goal for you is for your body to support your freedom, your well-being, and your joy.